One of my favorite things to share here on my blog are tools that can help make life easier—even just a little bit. (After all, who couldn’t stand to have their day go just a little bit more smoothly?) 🙂 We were recently discussing our favorite smartphone apps at one of our weekly planning meetings, and it got me thinking. There are so many useful smartphone apps out there these days, but for some reason I haven’t really written much about apps at all! So I decided to rectify that situation by reaching out to both my staff and my readers to ask about their favorite smartphone apps. I’ve distilled all of the responses down into this blog post, so we can all benefit from each other’s recommendations!
To start, I’ll be sharing the favorite apps of each member of the OGT Team. We’ve each described the app we selected, and wrote a little bit about why we like that particular app so much. After the staff picks, I’ll be sharing more app recommendations from my readers who responded on my Facebook page. I’ve organized the apps into four categories—health, organization, finances, and entertainment. My hope is that your new favorite app is just waiting to be discovered somewhere in this post! 🙂
4 Download-Worthy Apps, According To OGT Staff
1. Disappearing Bedside Clock (Jillee)
“One of the apps I’ve been using a lot recently is Disappearing Bedside Clock. I like to be able to check the time when I wake up in the middle of the night, but I find that most alarm clocks put off too much light for my liking. This app displays a digital clock, but it only appears if I move my hand near it. It also has a motion setting where it will appear if I tap on my nightstand. It allows me to check the time at night, but without an annoying light that keeps me up!”
2. HeadSpace (Brittany, Production Mananger)
“The app HeadSpace makes meditation and mindfulness simple. It provides some free guided meditations, as well as paid guided meditations about more specific topics (depression, pregnancy, creativity, etc.) But my very favorite thing about this app is the notifications! They provide little mindfulness moments throughout the day, and you can choose how often they appear. The notifications give me opportunities to slow down for a minute, and I love it!”
3. Marco Polo (Kaitlyn, Photographer)
“Marco Polo is a messaging app that allows you to send short video messages to your friends individually or in groups. I use it throughout the day to keep in touch with my best friends from college who now live all over the country. We have found it so much easier to stay connected via Marco Polo videos rather than typing out lengthy text messages. I am SO grateful for the way this app has helped me to maintain these important relationships!”
4. Solitaire (Britta, Content Editor)
“Buying the ad-free Solitaire app from MobilityWare might just be the best $5 I’ve ever spent. It’s great to have a game on my phone that I can use even when I don’t have an internet or cell connection. I get a LOT of mileage out of this app particularly when I’m traveling internationally. It has entertained me through flight delays, long train rides, and countless other occasions where I didn’t have the luxury of a wifi connection!”
21 More Of The Best Apps, According To OGT Readers
5. Charity Miles – Track your runs, jogs, or walks and earn money for the charity of your choice.
6. Lose It! – Count calories or macros, track your exercise and weight-lifting, make a weight loss plan, and more!
7. Think Dirty – This app helps you avoid toxic ingredients and make safe, healthy choices when you’re at the grocery store.
8. Clue – Track your menstrual cycle, ovulation, fertility, and more using the handy health app.
9. Stocard – This app keeps all of your loyalty and membership cards in one convenient place!
10. Out Of Milk – Make, organize, and share shopping lists with this app. You can also use it to keep track of prices, coupons, and more!
11. Paprika – Manage all your favorite recipes with this app. You can also use it to do your weekly meal planning and make grocery lists too.
12. Chore Monster – List out chores, set point values for each, and assign them to your kids using this fun app. They’ll love earning points and collecting monsters!
13. Life360 – Keep track of where your family is with this handy app. Get location details, driving directions, and send messages and check-ins all within the app.
14. Ibotta – This app makes it easy to earn cash back on purchases you make every day, including groceries, apparel, pharmacy purchases, and more.
15. Walmart Pay– Scan your Walmart receipts in the app, and if they find an advertised price lower than the price you paid, you’ll get a gift card for the difference.
16. Root – This app enables you to get affordable car insurance if you demonstrate safe driving habits over a certain period of time.
17. Mint – Keep an eye on your spending, create a budget, and keep track of your debts with this money management app.
18. Acorns – This app rounds up your purchases to the nearest dollar, then invests the spare change for you in a secure account.
19. Ebates – Using Ebates is a simple way to earn cash back on purchases from all of your favorite brands and stores. (I wrote a whole post about how to use Ebates, which you can read at the link below!)
20. Overdrive – This app connects you to the digital collections of your local library. Log in with your library card and “check out” eBooks, audiobooks, and more!
21. Audible – Purchase, download, and listen to thousands of audiobooks through this app.
22. Sky Guide – Use this app to identify stars, learn about constellations, and improve your overall knowledge of astronomy!
23. Touch Note – Turn your photos into postcards, greeting cards, or other gifts to send to friends and family.
24. Weather Puppy – Get updates about the weather in your area, and see some cute puppies at the same time.
25. Disney Emoji Blitz – If you love Disney and also love emojis, this is Bejeweled-style mobile game for you!