· Blog · Homekeeping · Cleaning · These 7 Cleaning Mistakes Are Doing More Harm Than Good
Homekeeping · Cleaning · These 7 Cleaning Mistakes Are Doing More Harm Than Good
26

These 7 Cleaning Mistakes Are Doing More Harm Than Good

There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to cleaning, but we often forget about the most important one—safety!

You already know that keeping your home clean is important, and for more reasons than just aesthetic appeal alone. Keeping your home clean plays and important part in keeping you and your family healthy! But it’s important to note that while cleaning is important, it isn’t without its own risks. And those risks are what we’ll be talking about today.

There are certain aspects of keeping a clean house that are potentially hazardous. Today I’ll be sharing 7 common mistakes that people make when it comes to cleaning. I’ll also share easy tips for avoiding those mistakes, as well as safe and simple alternatives too. By avoiding these 7 cleaning mistakes, we can ensure that we’re keeping our houses clean in the safest ways possible! 🙂

Related:  7 Dangerous Mistakes You Need To Avoid While Spring Cleaning

7 Cleaning Mistakes That Can Be Harmful To Your Health

Mistake #1: Mixing Bleach And Ammonia

Never ever mix bleach and ammonia! This one is first on the list for a reason, because it’s the biggest no-no of them all! Combining bleach and ammonia creates toxic chloramine gas that can cause chronic breathing problems or even death.

When it comes to heavy-duty cleaning ingredients like bleach and ammonia, the best rule of thumb is to never mix them with anything but water. Safety first!

Mistake #2: Not Protecting Your Lungs

According to one study, prolonged exposure to cleaning product fumes can lead to increased respiratory symptoms and decreased lung function over time. You can help protect your lungs by using natural cleaning alternatives like my All-Purpose Cleaning Spray. Or you can wear a respirator mask like this one while cleaning to reduce your exposure to harmful fumes.

The American Lung Association recommends giving air fresheners the boot to protect your lungs. Instead, keep your home smelling fresh with a natural potpourri or a room spray made with essential oils. Read about those options and more ideas at the link below.

Related: 10 Natural Ways To Make Your Home Smell So Good

Mistake #3: Using Your Oven’s Self-Cleaning Function

The self-cleaning function on most ovens works by heating the oven so much that spills and splatters simply burn away. But a lot of ovens are lined with Teflon, which can produce harmful fumes at such high temperatures. Instead, try using my easy overnight oven cleaning method, which you can read about at the link below!

Related: How To Clean Your Oven While You Sleep

Mistake #4: Not Cleaning Your Lint Trap

Of the 3,000 or so dryer fires that occur each year, it’s estimated that about 1/3 of them are caused by a buildup of lint. Make sure to clean your dryer’s lint trap after every load! And vacuum out the area around the lint trap at least once per year.

Related: How To Clean And Maintain Your Dryer To Avoid A Fire

Mistake #5: Ignoring Weird Smells From Your Washing Machine

Are your clothes or towels coming out of your washer smelling a little off? Often this is due to a buildup of mildew in the crevices of your washing machine. Check out the links below for instructions on how to thoroughly clean the inside of your washing machine.

Related: How To Clean Your Front-Load Washing Machine In 5 Easy Steps
Related: How To Clean Your Top-Loading Washing Machine

Mistake #6: Not Cleaning Your Fridge Often Enough

Make it a habit to check your fridge weekly for foods that are going bad or have passed their expiration date. This is especially important if you have a home full of hungry kids (or a hungry spouse!) You don’t want anyone getting sick from eating old food.

Mistake #7: Failing To Disinfect After Handling Raw Meat

It’s important to promptly disinfect anything that has come into contact with raw meat, including your hands, kitchen knives, cutting boards, and countertops. Wash everything with hot, soapy water to make sure things are clean and sanitary. Failing to properly disinfect your cooking tools and cutting boards could easily make someone sick!

What’s your best safety tip when it comes to cleaning?

  • I may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on this website. I always offer my own genuine recommendation. Learn more.


  • image

    Hi, I’m Jillee!

    I believe we should all love the place we call home and the life we live there. Since 2011, I’ve been dedicated to making One Good Thing by Jillee a reliable and trustworthy resource for modern homemakers navigating the everyday challenges of running a household. Join me as I share homemaking and lifestyle solutions that make life easier so you can enjoy it more!

    Every day I share creative homemaking and lifestyle solutions that make your life easier and more enjoyable!

    Read More

    MORE IDEAS FROM

    Homekeeping

    26 Comments
    most voted
    newest oldest
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    Menu