One of our family’s favorite summertime treats is my mom’s famous homemade ice cream! It’s the perfect refreshing treat during the dog days of summer, and it also gives you a chance to highlight the delicious, ripe fruits that are so abundant this time of year. My family loves using fresh strawberries in this recipe, but you could just as easily use peaches, raspberries, blackberries, or whatever your family’s favorite fruit may be! So without further ado, here is my mom’s “Foolproof Homemade Ice Cream” recipe for your summer enjoyment! 🙂
Mom’s Foolproof Homemade Ice Cream
2 baskets of fresh raspberries, strawberries or 6-8 peaches (you can use frozen, but fresh is SO much better!)
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 quarts half and half
Mash the berries, or peeled and sliced peaches with a potato masher or process in your blender or food processor. Process until a consistency you like. I like my fruit chunks a little bit bigger, so I don’t process/mash them too much. That way when I’m eating it I get frozen chunks of fruit in with my ice cream. (Trust me – it’s heavenly!)
Add all the ingredients to your ice cream maker and churn!
You can serve the ice cream as soon as it’s frozen if you like it a bit soft.
I usually transfer mine to some smaller containers and put them in the freezer for an hour or so to let the ice cream harden up a bit.
What’s your favorite summertime treat??
Foolproof Homemade Ice Cream
- 2 baskets of fresh berries or 6-8 fruits
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 quarts half and half
- Mash the berries, or peeled and sliced peaches with a potato masher or process in your blender or food processor. Process until a consistency you like.
- Add all the ingredients to your ice cream freezer and churn! Churn in a 1 gallon ice cream freezer. Make half a batch if your freezer is smaller than a gallon.
- Allow the ice cream to sit in the ice cream maker until time to serve.