When I saw this recipe for homemade Shirley Temples I was immediately transported back to growing up in Long Beach, California and going to the bowling alley. (I wish I could remember the name of it!) One of my favorite things to do was to order a Shirley Temple at the “bar”. Not only were they a sweet, bubbly treat….I felt super cool ordering one! I couldn’t have been more than 10 or 12 at the time. 😉
Funny after all these years that memory is so vivid to me! The ability that tastes, smells, and sounds have to transport us to another place and time is truly remarkable. I think that’s why I was so drawn to this recipe from Laurie at Simply Scratch and found myself making it before I even realized it. A delicious treat from my youth made all the sweeter by the wonderful memories it evoked for me. I hope you enjoy it too.
As good as I remembered the bowling alley Shirley Temple’s being….they can’t hold a CANDLE to these made from Homemade Cherry Grenadine! Mmmm….so delicious! And SOOOO easy to make! Plus, it keeps very nicely in the refrigerator so you can make Shirley Temple’s anytime! 🙂
Shirley Temple’s with Homemade Cherry Grenadine
Adapted from Simply Scratch
- 32 ounces (4 cups) cherry juice
- 2 cups sugar
- Lemon and/or Lime sparkling water (you could use 7-up or Sprite too….but it would be much sweeter.)
- Citrus slices, for garnish
- Maraschino Cherries, for garnish
- Little paper pennants, just for fun 🙂
Heat the 4 cups of cherry juice over moderate heat until it begins to simmer. Continue simmering until the juice is reduced by half. (This step took about an hour. But basically you just “set it and forget it”). Remove from heat and add two cups of sugar, stir until dissolved and then let cool completely.
Recipe makes about 3 cups of syrup. Leftover syrup can be stored in the fridge up to a month.
To “mix” your Shirley Temple….fill a glass with ice…and then add 2/3 sparkling water, and 1/3 third grenadine (more or less to taste)…and garnish with citrus slices and maraschino cherries.
(And, if you like, these cute little pennants that you can make in a couple of minutes using scrapbook paper, double-sided tape, and toothpicks!)
Such a fun, refreshing drink the whole family can enjoy! Give it a try!
HOMEMADE SHIRLEY TEMPLE
- 4 Cups Cherry juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Citrus slices for garnish
- 100 grams Maraschino Cherries for garnish
- Heat the 4 cups of cherry juice over moderate heat until it begins to simmer.
- Continue simmering until the juice is reduced by half. (This step took about an hour. But basically you just “set it and forget it”).
- Remove from heat and add two cups of sugar, stir until dissolved and then let cool completely.
- To “mix” your Shirley Temple….fill a glass with ice…
- Add 2/3 sparkling water, and 1/3 third grenadine (more or less to taste)…
- Garnish with citrus slices and maraschino cherries.