The backyard bonfire season has arrived at our house! Last night we had our first “s’mores by the fire” night of the summertime and it was WONDERFUL as usual. 🙂 We had originally planned on doing in the night before…but it turned out to be too windy. Tonight was absolutely perfect conditions and we had a lovely time.
Even building the fire was a breeze thanks to these handy dandy little fire starters I made the day before.
The “ingredients” and the process couldn’t be simpler. In fact, everything you need to make these is “junk” you most likely have laying around your house right now.
*Empty Egg Cartons
It didn’t take long to save up MORE than enough dryer lint for this project. I actually had WAY more than I needed so I am saving it for another batch down the road.
The egg cartons we ALWAYS have on hand…and I had a couple of old candles stashed away in a cupboard just waiting for SOME D.I.Y. project calling for wax. 🙂
I took my ingredients, along with an old tin can for melting the wax in, outside to the backyard. I used my weberQ to melt the wax.
Safety Alert Update: Since posting this I have been “educated” about the dangers of melting wax over an open flame. Janice (and others) have pointed out that any open flame, can ignite wax vapors. A double boiler (or water bath) method is recommended.
While waiting for the wax to melt…I stuffed the egg carton with my lint collection. For some reason all my lint had long, blonde hair in it. Wonder where THAT came from! Hopefully it’s very flammable. 🙂
When the wax was melted I carefully poured wax into each individual egg carton cup, just enough to saturate the lint. Then all you do is let them cool.
Once COMPLETELY COOLED they break apart easily and you can toss them in a bucket or some other appropriate container for your next fire!
For some reason I really had my doubts about whether these things were going to be all that they were cracked up to be, but fortunately I was proved wrong. They worked FANTASTIC!
The hubster added 3 of these little nuggets to the firewood pile in our humble sandbox-turned-firepit and lit them with our grill lighter and literally within MINUTES we had a beautiful, roaring fire going! No need for any sort of “accelerant” at all. (We have been known to resort to dousing the wood with lighter fluid to get our fires going!)
So now with the fire going full force, we were ready for s’mores time! I had forgotten how much I really LIKE s’mores! YUMMM!
I even spent some time in the afternoon making my first batch ever of homemade gluten-free graham crackers! (The gluten-free ones are the ones on the right.) They were a hit with No. 2 gluten-free son and everybody else! I promise to share the recipe SOON!
So you’re just going to have to check back. See how I am?? 🙂
Here is the link to the Homemade Gluten-Free Graham Crackers post!